The Committee requests expressions of interest from BSSH Members who would like to be considered.
The Committee comprises a Chair, 8 module leads (elected members), the Internal Advisor to the programme and the Diploma Coordinator.
The remit of the Diploma Committee is to develop and refine the postgraduate courses in Hand Surgery; these comprise the Diploma in Hand Surgery and the Masters in Hand Surgery. The courses are delivered by the BSSH in partnership with the University of Manchester.
Committee activities include the writing, moderating and collating of materials for the annual diploma examination. In addition, the committee shall ensure compliance with the regulations and quality assurance standards of the University.
At present we are looking for a plastic surgeon (to maintain balance in the committee) to take over responsibility for:
Module 5, Tendon
Membership incurs a considerable commitment of time and effort for planned events and for tasks that are to be completed at home. Attendance at the Committee days is essential to ensure a balance of specialities and expertise.
- Attending 3 full-day committee meetings (usually in Birmingham). These dates are usually provided 12-18 months in advance and there is opportunity to swap with other members if dates clash. We often have a short pre-exam evening Zoom meeting as well.
- Allocated “homework” to prepare questions for each committee meeting e.g. refining previous MCQ/EMQ/Skills stations or devising original material to present to Committee. Developing examination materials including the donation of supporting information such as clinical images or radiographs and providing input for exam logistics and planning.
- If not already: Qualifying as an examiner for the Diploma (applicable if you have been a substantive consultant for 5 years or more and have completed the 1 day FRCS examiners course)
- Attend the Diploma Exam as an examiner or observer if eligible which runs for 2.5 days over a Wed/Thursday/Friday once a year in Birmingham
We are organising for there to be a period of remotely delivered mentorship with outgoing committee members in order to ensure quality and improve consistency as well as handover. This will be for 6-12 months.
The following credentials are required:
- Membership of the BSSH
- Substantive Senior Clinical post
- A demonstrable interest in education and training
- An enthusiasm to actively participate in the duties detailed above
- It is essential that you have the ability to commit the necessary time to meetings, the exam and allocated workstreams.*
- Further credit is given for any past or existing involvement in the delivery of the Diploma.
* Professional leave and SPA time may need to be agreed in advance with your clinical managers unless you are using your own free time. We suggest that Diploma duties comprise 48hrs per year of private study (“homework”), 3 days of Professional Leave for meetings and 2.5 days of Professional Leave for examining + associated travel time per year.
We provide a yearly letter for your Appraisal detailing these figures.
Please do not feel daunted by this application form – no-one is expected to be able to complete every box. Please contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require further information or alternatively contact any of the committee members listed on the BSSH website.
I can assure you that, despite the hard work, the Diploma Committee is an enjoyable and fruitful experience. I would highly recommend it and look forward to receiving your application and welcoming new members onto the committee.
Applications will be formally considered by committee at the beginning of March with anticipation you will attend the 19th of June 2024 meeting to start a period of mentorship.
Chair Diploma and Masters Committee
If you are interested being considered for membership of the Diploma & MSc Committee, please register your expression of interest by clicking below to download an application form and emailing it to email@example.com by 09:00 on 7 February 2024