The Stack Travelling Fellowship of the British Society for Surgery of the Hand was introduced to recognise achievement and contribution to the development of Hand Surgery in the United Kingdom. The fellowship is named in memory of Graham Stack, founding member of BSSH and editor of its journal of many years. The Stack Fellowship is one of the most prestigious awards bestowed by the BSSH.
The Stack Fellowship is awarded to enable visits to centres of excellence and interest in this country and elsewhere. The purpose of the fellowship is to assist the award holder in developing one or more of the following:
- Specified area(s) of clinical interest
- Area(s) of scientific investigation
- Specific educational activity
The Stack Fellow will visit individuals in the national or international setting who best fulfil the award holder’s Fellowship theme. Attendance at the host nation’s annual meeting would be encouraged. The Stack Fellow will be asked to present a detailed account of the experiences and findings of the Fellowship at the Autumn Meeting of the BSSH and to submit a written report to the Education and Training committee.
Value of the award
An honorarium of £12,000 is available to cover the costs of flights, accommodation and attendance at a major meeting as required. The award is not intended to cover the costs of spouses who may wish to accompany the award holder.
Duration of award
It is envisaged that the Stack Fellowship would be taken over a 6-12 week period, depending on the circumstances of the individual. It is expected that the Fellowship will be awarded annually prior to the Autumn Meeting of the BSSH and taken in the following calendar year. If not taken up in this period the award will lapse.
The Stack Fellowship is open to both full and associate members of the BSSH. Given that the purpose of the award is to recognise major contribution to hand surgery in the UK there will be preference given to Consultants in the selection process. The Fellowship will be interviewed competitively.
An applicant should be:
a) A Consultant Plastic, Orthopaedic or Hand Surgeon and full member of the BSSH with substantial practice in and commitment to surgery of the hand.
b) A senior trainee and associate member of the BSSH who is in the last year of training and has completed a fellowship in hand surgery
- Submit completed application form with 5 copies to BSSH Secretariat. Download the application form here.
- Submit a copy of Curriculum Vitae
- Provide the names of two referees who are full members of the BSSH who would be prepared to forward letters of recommendation and support to the above address. One of these should be from a colleague who is familiar with the applicant’s work over the past two years.
- Obtain the approval of the Chief Executive of the Employing Trust to support the applicant taking the award
Application forms and letters of support should be completed and returned by 31 July each year. Applications received after this date cannot be considered.